Sunday 6 May 2012

What? No MFDs? No Gauges?

Unfortunately, yes.  At this moment I will not be doing any gauge, MFD, or DED extraction for two simple reasons: 1) I don't know how to do it yet and 2) I don't need to do it.


My current setup is a TM Warthog HOTAS, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR5 with Track Clip Pro, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, and two monitors.  As you can see from the pic, my second monitor displays the gauges, lights, and MFD images.  This is done via a combination of Helios and MFDE, as well as the built-in Cockpit Display Extractor.  So at the moment, I have no "need" of putting MFDs or other displays on iFlyBMS.

Another practical reason for skipping the trouble of doing this is the space on the iPad is quite small, or my fingers are too fat, whatever way you want to look at it!  To fit the ICP and even just one MFD would take up too much real estate, and accessing either the ICP or the MFD is done too often that "flipping pages" between an ICP page and an MFD page defeats the purpose of "having everything at your fingertips."

What I am planning to do is maybe add a few more "pages," maybe display data card info or charts that the pilot can flip through during non-critical situations.  However, this is just icing on the cake...


*********************
Comments?  Suggestions?
*********************
 Please feel free to post comments and suggestions.  Before deciding on my final layout, I asked a few of my flying buddies what else they thought a pilot would NEED during flight... those things that he would need in a hurry, with as little "heads down" time as possible.  This is what we came up with.  However, if you have any suggestions on other things to add, or comments regarding the design, I'd love to hear them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Your falcon setup is fantastic :D. What kind of software do you use to export falcon controls on second monitor? Second monitor setup look very useful.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ice, What size Ipad or android pad are you using?

    Regards, Rhino-185th

    ReplyDelete